An Alcohol Overdose Serves as a Wakeup Call for a High School Student

Jeffrey was a high school freshman who usually seemed to be living on the edge. Jeffrey had a daring personality and usually wanted to do what his older brothers were doing to have fun. The main problem with this was that all three of his brothers were at least 21 years old and were as a consequence legally allowed to drive a vehicle and to ingest alcohol.

Jeffrey, however, had a rough time accepting the reality that as a fifteen-year-old young man he should not be drinking. In fact, in spite of this, Jeffrey usually drank with his buddies after school, particularly on the weekends.

One weekend, Jeffrey decided to drive around with some of his older buddies. One of his friends was old enough to buy alcohol. After buying some wine, beer, and wine coolers, Jeffrey and his buddies went to a public recreational area and drank for around two or three hours.

Jeffrey Passes Out

After drinking something like ten alcoholic benerages, Jeffrey started to feel nauseous and then threw up. When he became unconscious on the soccer field, one of his guy friends called 911 for help. It was fortunate that the call for medical help was made because when his pals went to the hospital to see Jeffrey, they found out that Jeffrey had been going through alcohol poisoning symptoms. To be more specific, Jeffrey had overdosed on alcohol.

When Your Cronies Drink Excessively

Jeffrey had heard that drinking too much can result in alcohol poisoning but he never thought that this would affect him. After all, some of his buddies recurrently articulated that they could drink an entire case of beer in one day without going through any significant difficulties.

Based on this, Jeffrey was quite startled to ascertain that he had overdosed on alcohol because he “only” had approximately ten alcoholic beverages. When he stated this to the attending physicain at the hospital, however, the doctor informed Jeffrey that drinking ten alcoholic beverages over a two or three hour time frame could actually be substantially more alcohol than can be metabolized by the body. The physicain further explained how too much alcohol can cause the brain to shut down a person’s breathing and that when this happens, an individual can cease to exist.

The First Symptom of Hazardous Drinking

This was the first word of warning to Jeffrey that he was drinking in a risky manner and that there are repercussions for such behavior. The healthcare practitioner told Jeffrey that he was a fortunate young man because he almost died from an alcohol overdose the night before.

The healthcare practitioner also had a word with Jeffrey’s parents and suggested that they get alcohol therapy for Jeffrey. His parents were overjoyed that Jeffrey was out of harm’s way and told the healthcare professional that they would look into getting Jeffrey alcohol rehab.

While talking to his parents, Jeffrey notified them that there must be a special reason why he did not perish and that he felt thankful that he was still alive. He also notified his parents that the most ironic part about the entire drinking event was that he had learned about alcohol poisoning the previous six week grading period in health class at school.

When Learning Something in Class Can Change Your Life

At the time, what his health teacher, Mr. Franklin, was saying didn’t seem to make too much sense to Jeffrey. Due to the fact that he almost died, however, he felt that he should have listened more carefully in health class and applied what he had learned to his daily living.

Jeffrey informed his parents that he couldn’t wait to go back to Mr. Franklin’s classroom and apologize to Mr. Franklin for not displaying more attention to a topic that was as pertinent as learning about alcohol abuse and how to steer clear of alcohol poisoning.

His parents smiled at Jeffrey and said that they were elated with the way he was being accountable for his unsafe drinking activities. All he had to do now was to let this near fatal experience influence his life in a useful manner so that he would never again suffer through an alcohol overdose.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.